Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reverse Psychology

We have all heard of using reverse psychology to get people to do what we want.  I am here to tell you that using reverse psychology in a negative manner to get someone to lose weight does not work at all.  In fact, I believe it does the exact opposite.  As I have mentioned, I have never been stick thin, but in middle and high school I was average size and you best believe, my parents worked harder than I did to keep me from being obese. 

People who love us who don't have a weight problem really don't understand what it means to struggle with food, weight, etc. They think it is easy, push back from the table.  Hell, if it were that easy nobody would have an issue.  They often use reverse psychology out of love to try and motivate us. I am going to list a few of the reverse psychology or negative motivation that I received:
-Nicole, you are going to high school and nobody is going to want to be friends with the fat girl.  You need to lose at least 10lbs this summer, because people aren't going to want to be your friend.
-Nicole, don't you want your clothes to look neat on you?  If you get any bigger you are going to look sloppy and your clothes won't lay right.
-Nicole, your friend Suzie (fake name) is so thin, I bet she doesn't eat double, or she won't have a weight problem.
- Mrs. Blank (fake name) told me that her daughter doesn't won't to be big like her so all she ate for dinner was a bag of microwave popcorn, she won't have a weight issue.

Now, in my heart of hearts I know that the person who said these things to me was saying them out of love.  They didn't suffer with a weight issue so they didn't know how to help.  Would this person ever hurt me, NO.  But did these things hurt me? Yes! And the crazy part about it is.......... These words hurt me and I didn't even realize that they hurt me.  I didn't realize that just like so many other things, I pushed these statements deep down and buried them with food. 

Nicole

2 comments:

  1. Great entry Nicole..maybe it will help those that are tring to motivate others to loose weight will stop using negatives to motivate, because like you said, it actually does the reverse...no one wants to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really????? That was some mean things to say. I believe whole heartily that the person(s) loved you; all in all it was mean to say just so you can stop or curb how you were eating. Your voice is instrumental, this blog is Awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete