Sunday, January 9, 2011

Any ole' excuse will do............

In a previous blog, I explained that my mom cooked breakfast daily.  She also cooked lunch (on weekends, holidays, and summer breaks), and dinner. She never bought chips, cookies, etc. so getting junk food was a treat and boy was it hard.  Eating out was a REAL treat and  I remember, I would look for any excuse in the world to eat out and my mom would find a any reason for us to eat at home. LOL.  As an adult I get it.......... we didn't have a lot of money so eating out just wasn't in the budget.  As a kid I so craved salty, surgary, fat-filled food and I would go through any lengths to get it.  I remember going up the street to Mrs. Bolton's house, (my old baby sitter who kept me from a baby until I went to school, God rest her soul...... she was such a wonderful lady).  I would go up there and just eat and eat, and if they didn't have the junky snacks I wanted, she would get them for me, or she would take me to get FAST FOOD.  Now, I never let my parents know this, that would have ruined everything.  Once, I went to the bathroom and I heard her husband say, "I think Nicole just comes up here to eat."  As a child I didn't understand the magnitude of his comment.  I just thought, man, Mr. Bolton is on to my game.  Now, I feel humilated and embarrassed by his statement.  How embarrassing, I went to their home and acted as if my parents did feed me.  I appeared to be a user who only wanted something from them.  I guess in a way that was true, who am I fooling, that is all the way true.  I just feel horrible about it. 

During the summers we stayed in Dahlongea, GA. and my grandpa would give me $5.00 a day.  Most days I put the $5.00 in my drawer, other days I would walk to the corner store and buy me my junk food treats.  I would get funyan's, snickers, and a Nehi peach drink.  Then I would go around the block to the fudge factory and load up there.  On good days, my friends and I would race to the McDonald's and I would get my fast food lunch.  McDonald's was only 2 miles away.  Then we would walk back and I would act as if I hadn't eaten anything and I would eat whatever my mom had cooked.


Now, when I started driving........ three things happened. 1) I got a job 2) I was able to feed my food addiction without anyone knowing 3) I really started gaining weight. 

Now, getting a job........ I started working at Hardee's and I ate from the minute I got to work until the minute I left.  I ate fry after fry after fry, and I had unlimited amount of fountain soda.  Then, I would come home and swear Hardee's food was nasty. Ha! That was such a lie.  We sold chicken, biscuits ice cream, and milk shakes.  I would put ice cream on top of the biscuits, add ice cream and fresh strawberries. 

Being able to feed my habit was so much easier and since I had a job I had my own money and nobody would ever know.  I would skip school at lunch, leave, go get my drug, eat in the car and come back to school before anyone ever knew.  Looking back it is sort of funny.  I would sprint to the car, drive to a drive-thru, eat super fast, then sprint back to class before anyone ever knew.

Lastly, I really started gaining weight.  I probably gained 20lbs when I turned 16 and got the keys to my own car. 

This is where the crazy dieting began...................

2 comments:

  1. You're really painting a picture of what you went through... Looking back when I worked at Hardee's I remember eating biscuits with ice cream and fresh strawberries. WOW!!!!!! you're so very brave.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok...Need it be said that Hardee's need not be anyone's first job as it starts a very bad habit.

    Hardee's was also my very first job and you are so right..my food of choice was those burgers and shakes...then it was one fast food job after another..

    1. Hardee
    2. McDonald's
    3. Popeyes
    4. McDonald's (yes a different one from #1)
    5. Burger King
    6. Wendy's
    7. Gyro Wrap (college)

    Now what did working at all these fast food places afford me....free food of course. Popeye's was the best and worst...best because I was on biscuits in the back..butter a fresh batch, put me 3 to the side and eat with my jelly) worst because that is when I started to gain weight uncontrollably..I was in 12th grade and as far as we thought we had it made.

    Wow Nicole you just made me tap into when my troubles really began with food. Thanks that's another overturned stone.

    ReplyDelete